Monday, May 17, 2010

Sneak Peek at Bead Soup...

The ingredients for the bead soup have been shipped off to my partner Emanda Johnson.  Here is a sneak peek, Shhhhhh... I wonder if she will check my blog during the week.
 I had to make an emergency trip to my second favorite bead store in town, Bead Haven, to find a really nice brass closure for this .  Mission accomplished but it got in the bag before I could take a picture.  
These are some of the off-white Alamo inspired beads I made from polymer clay.  I stamped both sides by squeezing thick sheets of clay between two different stamps then cut them out and roughed the edges with crinkled aluminum foil. Next the clay was tinted with alcohol inks and then baked.  Last I spray two coats of an archival quality acrylic protectant so the alcohol inks will not react to perfume or hairspray. There were several things about the Alamo that inspired me; the carved limestone, the rough hand hewn wood and the wrought iron decor on windows, gates.... That is why I included the wood beads and the brass components.  I am very anxious to see what Emanda will do with these beads!! 

2 comments:

  1. SQUEEE!!

    Oops, I peeked! Dang, now I can't WAIT to receive your package. I will photo and send yours out tomorrow. I've had a commission with a tight deadline come up and have been working on it all weekend (two pieces). Take a look at my blog and vote for the best bracelet arrangement. www.ArtemisiaStudio.blogspot.com/2010/05/finished-pieces.html

    Emanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely work on your Alamo-inspired beads! Beautiful texture and "rough hewn" edges. Clever to do it with crinkled aluminum foil. Thanks for your kind comments at my blog. So nice to "meet" you.

    ReplyDelete

I have made so many new and wonderful friends with this blog.
I really enjoy and benefit from your feedback about my work.
Please take a minute and comment. Thank you!